This page details pretty much all I use as a developer. If you decide to make your own, consider adding it to uses.tech that was created by Wes Bos. I use a Mac so most tools are macOS specific, but there are definitely some OS agnostic ones in the list as well. You might also be interested in My Mac Setup post although it is a little outdated.
- VS Code Insider’s Edition, here’s my setup
- Theme: Night Owl by Sarah Drasner - Occasionally I switch to Material theme.
- Font: Dank Mono by Phil Plückthun
Chrome/Brave/Firefox Browser Extensions
- Refined GitHub - GitHub on steroids
- VisBug - An awesome tool for frontend (this one’s new for me) (only for Chromium based browsers)
- Gitpod - Allows you to work on repos in a browser. Kind of Sandbox like
- Tota11y - Unpacked browser extension that I created, but VisBug supports it now, so I may just opt for VisBug. https://twitter.com/argyleink/status/1215052867716804608
- React DevTools - Because React
- Preact DevTools - Because Preact
- Axe - For web accessibility testing
- HTTPS Everywhere - What it's called is what it does 😉 (not required for Brave browser)
- uBlock - An ad blocker (not required for Brave browser)
- Vanilla - A great app for hiding icons in your menu bar
- Rocket - Emojis, emojis
- Alfred - Workflows, snippets, MacOS spotlight on steroids
- Amphetamine - Prevent your Mac from going to sleep
- f.lux - Be kind to your eyeballs
- Fork - A great git GUI
- Bear - Awesome note taking app
- Better Touch Tool - Add extra gestures to your mouse/trackpad. I even use it for Windows management. Basically all the shortcuts I had for Spectacle) are now shortcuts in this tool.
- Docker Desktop - Because Docker
- Sizzy - Test your app/site for various devices/screen resolutions
- xScope - Awesome toolset for frontend development. Rulers, guides etc.
- Dato - A better date app for MacOS.
- iTerm - A better terminal for MacOS
- Kap - Screen shares GIFs
- Spotify - Because music.
- Seashore - An alternative to Photoshop
- Muzzle - A simple app for silencing notifications during screen sharing
Also, for those interested, here’s a big list I made for Frontend Developer Resources. Some of the things mentioned above are probably already in this list.
- Desk: MotionGrey Adjustable Dual Motors Electric Sit to Stand Computer Office Standing Desk - I snagged it at a great price. It appears to go on sale often.
- Chair: Herman Miller Aeron. These are pricey, so look out for one on online classifieds. I snagged one with a bunch of new parts for just under a third of the price.
- Rollerblade style caster wheels (for office chair). Thanks for the suggestion ErgoSesh!
- Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3 - I snagged them during Boxing Day week.
- Microphone: Blue Designs Yeti
- Stand for Mac: Rain mStand 360
- Wireless charger for phone: Anker Wireless Charger
- Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream with this Laptop Webcam Cover
- Monitor: BenQ GW2760HS 27-inch FHD 1920x1080 HDMI VGA LED Monitor with iKross Single Monitor Desk Mount with Free Stand Base
- Charger: Anker Premium 60W 5-Port Desktop Charger
- Backup Drive: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Drive
- Dongles: Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter
- Whiteboard: VIZ-PRO Dry Erase Board/Whiteboard
- Working from home sneakers: Under Armour Men’s Charged Commit 2.0 Cross Trainer
- Standing desk mat: Topo Comfort Mat by Ergodriven
- Office air purifier: LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300
- Vornado Pivot Personal Air Circulator Fan