This page details pretty much all I use as a developer. If you decide to make your own, consider adding it to uses.tech that was created by Wes Bos. I use a Mac so most tools are macOS specific, but there are definitely some OS agnostic ones in the list as well.
- VS Code Insider’s Edition, here’s my setup
- Theme: Night Owl by Sarah Drasner - Occasionally I switch to Material theme.
- Font: Dank Mono by Phil Plückthun
Chrome/Brave/Firefox Browser Extensions
Refined GitHub - GitHub on steroids
Grammarly - Spelling mistakes folks
VisBug - An awesome tool for frontend (this one’s new for me) (only for Chromium based browsers)
Gitpod - Allows you to work on repos in a browser. Kind of Sandbox like
Tota11y - Unpacked browser extension that I created, but VisBug supports it now, so I may just opt for VisBug. https://twitter.com/argyleink/status/1215052867716804608
React DevTools - Because React
Axe - For web accessibility testing
HTTPS Everywhere - What it's called is what it does 😉 (not required for Brave browser)
uBlock - An ad blocker (not required for Brave browser)
- Vanilla - A great app for hiding icons in your menu bar
- Rocket - Emojis, emojis
- Alfred - Workflows, snippets, MacOS spotlight on steroids
- Amphetamine - Prevent your Mac from going to sleep
- f.lux - Be kind to your eyeballs
- Fork - A great git GUI
- Bear - Awesome note taking app
- Better Touch Tool - Add extra gestures to your mouse/trackpad
- Docker Desktop - Because Docker
- Sizzy - Test your app/site for various devices/screen resolutions
- xScope - Awesome toolset for frontend development. Rulers, guides etc.
- Dato - A better date app for MacOS.
- iTerm - A better terminal for MacOS
- Kap - Screen shares GIFs
- Spectacle - Awesome windows management for MacOS
- Spotify - Because music.
- Gimp - An alternative to Photoshop.
Also, for those interested, here’s a big list I made for Frontend Developer Resources. Some of the things mentioned above are probably already in this list.
- Desk: MotionGrey Adjustable Dual Motors Electric Sit to Stand Computer Office Standing Desk - I snagged it at a great price. It appears to go on sale often.
- Chair: Herman Miller Aeron. These are pricey, so look out for one on online classifieds. I snagged one with a bunch of new parts for just under a third of the price.
- Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3 - I snagged them during Boxing Day week.
- Stand for Mac: Rain mStand 360
- Wireless charger for phone: Anker Wireless Charger
- Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream with this Laptop Webcam Cover
- Monitor: BenQ GW2760HS 27-inch FHD 1920x1080 HDMI VGA LED Monitor with iKross Single Monitor Desk Mount with Free Stand Base
- Charger: Anker Premium 60W 5-Port Desktop Charger
- Backup Drive: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Drive
- Dongles: Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter
- Whiteboard: VIZ-PRO Dry Erase Board/Whiteboard
- Working from home sneakers: Under Armour Men’s Charged Commit 2.0 Cross Trainer
- Footrest for standing desk: HOMCOM Ergonomic Footrest Adjustable Height and Angle Home Office Foot Rest Stool
- Standing Desk Mat: iCustomRug Ergonomic Anti Fatigue Mat
- Office air purifier: LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300